«

January PTA Meeting Minutes

January PTA Meeting Minutes, 1/13 @ 7pm

Nicole (President): Welcome, Pledge

Recognitions: Benee Meade (Support Staff Holiday Gifts and December Staff Appreciation); Claire Henderson and addtl volunteers (Holiday Boutique); Kristin Ferrera/Benee Meade/Liz Jackson – Virtual STEAM night, Courtney Byrne (Halloween Candy Drive), Megan Scanielo (Cranford Family Cares Drive)

  • Need to renew bylaws at or before our May 12th meeting

    • Needs to be done by May 16th to stay in good standing.

    • Should be straight forward, can’t change much.

    • Looking for 2-3 volunteers to be on the committee (just review current by-laws; propose any changes to board)

    • Goal to have bylaws reviewed and resubmitted within the month of February.

    • Will be voted on ideally at our March 10th PTA meeting.

  • PJ and Book Drive benefiting CASA of Union County.

    • Collection 2/15-2/26 (bins at each of the entrances).

    • These are the 2 wks leading up to Dr. Seuss week as well as virtual Book Fair.

    • Collecting new pajamas and books for children ages 0-21 to support the fostered youth of Union County.

    • Flyer to follow.

  • BAS Spiritwear sale, timing for Spring.

    • Will contact Cougar Headquarters and Think Design Print in town to partner.

    • Proposed merchandise – T-shirts, Sweatshirts, Sweatpants, and Car Magnets.

    • Looking for a volunteer to help coordinate.

  • Teacher Appreciation On-Going:

    • Lawn Signs (huge hit!)

    • Monthly “Grab n Go’s/Surprises” for faculty lounge (Nov = individual packaged snacks and seltzer, flowers, Dec Hot Cocoa Bar)

    • Will continue each month through the balance of year (PTA board Member signed up for a month)

    • Published out teachers Amazon Wish List in the Dec PTA blast, will send out again.

    • Discussing additional ideas/initiatives for Spring, would like to plan something “big” like we did with the lawn signs for post spring break.

  • Looking to send out a survey sometime this spring on how you would like to stay up to date on PTA information and event reminders for next year — Social Media (ie: Facebook), email blasts (monthly and addl as needed), PTA website; want to make sure we communicating the best way we can with all our families.

  • Schedule Virtual Assembly – Mrs. Murphy reviewing possible options and we will be getting at least one on the calendar as soon as possible.

    • In discussion with St Huberts Animal Shelter to present to students how to care for animals (would be a 30 minute assembly) TBC

Nikki (Vice President): Update on events

  • There will be no skate night (orig TBD on calendar for Feb). Exploring addl. virtual or socially distant options for Spring.

  • Spring “Scavenger Hunt”?

  • Potentially another Drive In movie if it opens back up

  • Art Night on calendar for March (virtual, how do we keep it engaging)

  • Virtual Book Fair scheduled for early March (our co-chairs Claire Cooper and Kate Ryan are planning and more info/details coming soon).

  • We would like to plan a virtual 5K for Spring, but need volunteers. Traditionally partner with OAS, will reach back out to them for interest in Spring but will be a very pared down event previous years with no sponsors. Thinking just a great way to encourage our families to get out for some exercise after the long winter.

    • Plan to support businesses who have sponsored in the past.

Claire (Treasurer):

  • 144 families have joined so far this year.We also have 19 teachers that have joined.  There are 202 families at BAS, so we have 72% participation (up 12% from the last PTA meeting in October.

  • We have received $2,400 in dues (half is paid to national, which we still owe) and $710 in donations.

  • Current balance of the account is $9,925.40

    • Pending items

      • Cash Deposit of $36 from Holiday Boutique and Teacher Signs

      • Check of -$114.52 to Benee for Support Staff Holiday Gifts

    • We made $340 from the Drive In Movie Night

    • We made $150 from the Holiday Boutique and we have a box of gifts to be used for next year.

    • We made $25 from the Teacher Appreciation Sign sale

    • We paid $213 for STEAM Night

    • We paid $671 for Support Staff Holiday Gifts

    • We paid $150 to sponsor the Souperhero Stroll

    • We spent $406 on November and December Staff Apprecation

    • We collected $900 from parents for support staff gifts for the year

  • No concerns for the budget so far this year.If we do have some bigger expenses still on the budget that we should look into fundraising events in the spring to offset their costs

    • Backyard Bash – $2,200

    • Assemblies – $1,000

    • Afterschool Clubs – $1,000

    • 2nd Grade Show – $600

Benee (Recording Secretary):

  • BAS PTA website is up to date and will continue to house any pertinent information, calendar and event updates and flyers.

  • Feedback from parents as to any additional information that would be helpful to keep them up to speed in between email blasts

Courtney (Corresponding Secretary):

  • Continuously updated by Mrs. Hardman with any needs for Congratulatory gifts, retirement gifts, etc.

  • Great feedback from all who have received gifts.

Xiomara (Monthly Email Blast Coordinator):

  • Will continue to send out monthly PTA emails (along with additional emails as needed for reminders or special events).

Julie (Class Parent Liaison):

  • Food is allowed at class parties.

  • Paper Valentines will be allowed, however items that are sent in will need to quarantine prior to the parties.

Additional General Topics:

  • Murphy- Students have continued to do amazing during the school year.Parents are encouraged to reach out if they need anything

  • Discussion about holding a truncated Variety Show for May

    • Bring up the topic at the next PTC meeting

    • Nicole will reach out to Variety Show Chairs to discuss

    • Explore using the outdoor stage in Union (via the Freeholders)

  • Discussion about alternatives to the Backyard Bash

    • 1 class per day could do Bash related activities

    • Potential to create stations (ie. Science, art, field day) to keep it distanced and safe.

    • Requesting other ideas